Monday, January 16, 2012

Finishing up the new interconnects

 Here are the completed interconnect cables for my phono stage preamp (record player), and for my preamp to amps. I cut them to fit, and they look clean.
So before I installed them in my system, I gave them a quick check with the ohm meter and then hooked them up to an extra CD player I have, for 50 hours of break in. I know, it seems like witchcraft or something, but that break in time makes a difference. If I wasn't so impatient I would have run them in for 100 hours. While they were breaking in, I installed an upgrade to my amps, to refine the sound a bit. Once the upgrade was complete, and the cables were run in, I assembled it for a listen. I ran through a few albums to test the modifications and cables. I only have a turntable hooked up right now. First up was Nirvana Unplugged, it was very engaging, and I listened to several songs twice while rolling a couple different tubes through the amps to check the sonic differences. Then I listened to a couple songs off the new Slash album to really give the changes a workout. Last, I finshed up with side 2 of ZZ Top Fandango. This might be the best group of songs on any ZZ top album. It was killer to say the least. Phase 3 is up next, an upgrade to the phono stage preamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment